Self Awareness is a prerequisite for healthy Self Esteem. In this series we aim to develop a deep understanding of the concept of Self Esteem, and examine how Self Awareness plays a role n its development.
Defining Self Esteem
Self Esteem is the Subjective Cognitive evaluation of an individuals perception of the Self
In the definition above, there are three words highlighted in bold that must be elaborated upon.
- The first is that Self Esteem is a subjective evaluation. It is not objective i.e. not based on measurable data.
- Secondly, it is a cognitive evaluation, something that is in the mind, and may not be reflective of one’s behaviour. Although it effects your behaviour, your behaviour is not entirely driven by it.
- Third, it is based on your perception of the Self, and therefore will not be in line with the truth, if you have low Self Awareness.
Sample Self Awareness Questions
- Are you better than most people in any / some non functional aspects? Outline those aspects.
- Are you proud of yourself?
- If yes, what are you proud of yourself for?
- If not, why not?